The South Philly Food Co-op is seeking a part-time Outreach Coordinator!
About The South Philly Food Co-op
The mission of the South Philly Food Co-op is to open a member-owned, cooperative grocery store that makes good food available at a fair price to all residents of South Philadelphia, while empowering the local community through sustainable practices, food-centric education, outreach, and community building.
The Outreach Coordinator will work with the Board and the committees to maintain growth in membership; recruit and oversee volunteers; ensure that administrative tasks of the organization are being adequately performed; and ensure that members and non-members are provided regular, and varied methods to remain in touch with, informed about and involved with the co-op. This position is ideal for someone whose experience essentially combines community organizing (engage and educate others around a mission) and coordinating volunteers.
The Outreach Coordinator is expected to prepare and present at the monthly board meeting a report outlining major work performed and membership growth in the previous month, upcoming activities, and any other relevant information.
The Outreach Coordinator is a part-time paid position at 15 hours per week. Schedule must be flexible including some daytime/evening/weekend availability. Approximate start date is on or before July 1, 2014.
The Outreach Coordinator reports to the board, who will appoint a single point of contact.
- Develop an innovative, strategic, goal-oriented plan for member recruitment that combines a variety of approaches (such as outreach at events, presentations to organizations and civic groups, social media campaigns, etc.) and report on progress monthly.
- Develop a robust, creative, and goal-oriented volunteer recruitment/retention and member engagement/participation plan, that includes training/orienting new members in the membership recruitment effort
- Engage with the Membership Committee, Program/Events Committee and Marketing and Communications Committee in member recruitment and retention efforts
The Co-op is in an exciting transitional period. As we grow, there may be opportunity for expanded responsibilities as the needs of the Co-op change. A tentative breakdown of regular workload is as follows:
- Membership – recruitment, retention, communication, training (33%, 5 hrs/wk)
- Volunteer Recruitment & Retention – onboarding and engagement to support events, recruitment initiatives, committees and administrative needs (33%, 5 hrs/wk)
- Cross-Committee Engagement – Support the needs of the committees and leverage the committee volunteers to accomplish the member recruitment goals (33%, 5 hrs/wk)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Proven track record of relevant experience in project coordination, volunteer engagement/coordination, outreach, community organizing, fundraising
- Ability to be a spokesperson for the organization
- Demonstrated dynamic written and oral communication skills that will respectfully engage diverse audiences in the mission of the coop
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the cooperative model of business
- Strong organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and ability to work within deadlines
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Bachelors degree preferred
- This is a 6 month position, with a 30 day probationary period and will start on or before July 1, 2014.
- There will be an opportunity to renew for another 3 to 6 month period at the discretion of the Board.
Compensation: $14 to $18/hr to start (commensurate on experience) with potential for incremental increases based on performance following each 90-day period.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Accepting applications until position is filled.