Here we are, in the throes of summer heat! Personally, I love the all the food that comes with summer. Whether you’re talking about a fresh tomato, juicy watermelon, or a grilled piece of meat, I’m all about it. It’s great to be eating and drinking al fresco too, but when the temperatures climb close to 100 degrees, it’s just too hot to do anything, let alone cook in a hot kitchen. But you have to eat, you can’t eat take-out every night, and who has the energy to cook when it’s so stupid hot outside?
This dish is an almost no-cook meal, especially if you buy a grocery store rotisserie chicken. Great for a summer time dinner or to pack for your honey’s lunch. It goes together in a few minutes.
Serve on pumpernickel with some tender butter lettuce or watercress. And some potato chips. What? I love chips.
Apricot Almond Chicken Salad with Lemon Poppy Buttermilk Dressing
Serves 5-6 people
- 1.5 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (usually 2 breasts, or buy a whole chicken from the deli section of your grocery)
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Dry brine your chicken breasts by rubbing the salt all over them and resting in the fridge for 3-4 hours. Then dry off the chicken and season with canola oil and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and roast your chicken for 40 minutes or until it reaches 163 degrees. Don’t worry it’ll keep cooking, and you chicken will be perfect and moist.
3. Chill the chicken. Or if you are using a grocery store chicken...you are here already.
4. Pull the chicken off the bone and large dice. Place in a medium bowl with....
- 10 dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, sliced or slivered
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
Stir together the following to make the yummy dressing and combine with the chicken and other ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
That's it. Enjoy!